freebsd vfs, solaris vfs, zfs
Andriy Gapon
2014-04-10 16:16:34 UTC
I've tried to express some of my understanding of how FreeBSD VFS works and how
it compares to Solaris VFS model, maybe you would find that interesting:
http://www.hybridcluster.com/blog/complexity-freebsd-vfs-using-zfs-example-part-2/
I will certainly appreciate any feedback.
Andriy Gapon
Jordan Hubbard
2014-06-07 17:52:20 UTC
Post by Andriy Gapon
I've tried to express some of my understanding of how FreeBSD VFS works and how
http://www.hybridcluster.com/blog/complexity-freebsd-vfs-using-zfs-example-part-2/
I will certainly appreciate any feedback.
I'm interested in articles like this, thanks for taking the time to write them.
Yes, this is a well-written (albeit deeply technical) article on BSD VFS. I get that the author is clearly more familiar with Solaris, and therefore used it as a point of comparison, but I wonder if he has any appetite for a Linux VFS (http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/lk/lk-8.html) vs BSD VFS article as well. I’ve never really investigated the Linux VFS implementation in any detail, but I’m told it has some nice features to facilitate file change monitoring and simply provides a richer set of semantics for permuting filesystem behaviors. Maybe we could learn a thing or two from it?

- Jordan